New to the State of Georgia
Individuals moving to Georgia have 30 calendar days to register their vehicles. Customers are required to pay the following and provide the following documents to register:
- Title Fee - $18.00
- Standard Tag/Registration Fee - $20.00
- Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) - 3% of the fair market value (New Georgia Law effective May 27, 2019)
- Lease Vehicles - TAVT is calculated by using the total depreciation plus any amortized amount (+) down payment (x) TAVT amount.
- Business Owned Vehicles - TAVT is calculated at 7% of the vehicle's fair market value at the time of registration.
- 10% TAVT penalty if registered more than 30 days after establishing residency and an additional 1% penalty for each 30-day period thereafter.
- Passing Georgia emissions test if applicable.
- Valid Georgia insurance electronically submitted into the Georgia Insurance Database or an insurance binder or declarations page less than 30 days old.
- Georgia Driver’s License or ID card with your current DeKalb County address.
- Proof of DeKalb County address. If your Georgia Driver’s License or ID card does not have your current address, provide the following:
- Lease, deed or closing statement.
- Utility statement, paycheck stub or bank statement dated within the last 30 days.
Proof of Georgia insurance is required to register your vehicle in DeKalb County; this includes either of the following:
Out of State Title
- Original out of state title is required if there is no lien.
- If the title is held by lienholder you must submit one of the following:
- Copy of the out of state title that lists the lien holder's complete name and address.
- Original purchase agreement listing dealer name, complete name and address of lien holder and copy of the most recent out of state registration card that lists the owner(s) complete name and out of state address.
- If lien is held in the following states, you must present the original title:
- KY, MD, MI, MN, MO, MT, NY, OK, WI
- Lessee (customer) must present the original title from leasing company or lienholder, lease agreement along with an original notarized Power-of-Attorney from the leasing company authorizing the lessee to register the vehicle in Georgia. These documents can be express mailed to DeKalb County Tax Commissioner's Office, 4380 Memorial Drive, Suite 100, Decatur, GA 30032.
New to DeKalb County
Vehicle owners must notify our office if moving within DeKalb County or from another county.
An updated address on your driver’s license will not appear in our database due to the fact that we are not affiliated with the Georgia Department of Driver’s Services. Please click here for information about how to change your address.