Welcome to DeKalb County! We’d like to take a moment and let you know about some of the special services available to you as a resident.
DeKalb County offers our disabled residents special property tax exemptions. The qualifying applicant receives a substantial reduction in property taxes. Currently, there are two basic requirements. You must be at 100% permanently and totally disabled, and you must meet certain income requirements.
We will need you to bring in the following required documents:
- The previous year’s federal and state income tax returns
- Any Social Security forms, such as the annual 1099
- Proof of age (Georgia driver’s license or state issued ID)
- Doctor or Social Security Administration certification of permanent and total disabled status
Once the exemption has been granted, it remains in place for as long as you own and reside at the home. No exemptions are retroactive, and you are required to apply in person at one of our three locations.
Please visit our exemptions page for more details regarding our special exemptions.
Disabled parking placards are available to anyone who is temporarily or permanently disabled. Only one disabled parking placard is allowed per individual. Individuals can move the placard to any vehicle in which they are travelling. There is no charge for a disabled placard/permit.
- To receive a disabled parking placard you may apply either in person or via mail. Your doctor must complete and notarize form MV-9D and then this must be submitted to our office along with a copy of your Georgia driver’s license or ID card.
- A signed and dated statement by a doctor on prescription paper may be submitted including the disabled person’s name and whether the disability is permanent or temporary. The prescription paper must include the doctor’s printed name, address, phone number and the doctor’s license number. This document can be submitted along with a copy of your Georgia driver’s license or ID card.