The Tax Commissioner of DeKalb County, Irvin J. Johnson and staff, extends a warm welcome to you and your family to our wonderful County!
As you settle into your new home, you will probably have many questions. We encourage you to use our site frequently. Additionally, County information and announcements appear regularly in our local newspapers. Below you will find helpful information and links to help navigate the Tax Commissioner’s website with ease and efficiency.
Property Tax Information
Have you applied for your Homestead Exemption?
A Homestead Exemption provides a significant reduction in annual property taxes and is available to individuals who own and reside in a home in DeKalb County. A basic Homestead Exemption typically saves a homeowner 1/3 of annual taxes. Click here to apply . Once the exemption is granted, it remains in place as long as the applicant continues to reside at the property. A Property Assessment Freeze is applied to all properties granted homestead exemption for County Assessments.
Are you 62 and older or disabled?
You maybe eligible for even more savings with one of our special exemptions. These savings can include a reduced or elimination of school taxes. The annual property tax statements are mailed in August.
You must notify our office if you have moved within DeKalb County or from another county.
An updated address on your driver’s license will not appear in our database due to the fact that we are not affiliated with the Georgia Department of Driver’s Services. Please contact us to change your address.
Individuals moving to Georgia have 30 calendar days to register their vehicles. Customers are required to pay the following:
Title Fee - $18.00
Title Fee - $20.00
TAVT - 3% of Vehicle Value
Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT)
Individually owned and business owned vehicles (including leases) requires full payment of TAVT at the time of registration.
The following is a list of items needed to register your vehicle in DeKalb County: Proof of ownership, which could be either of the following:
Out of state title
- Original out of state title is required, if there is no lien
- If title is held by lien holder you must submit one of the following:
- Copy of the out of state title and the most current out of state registration
- Original purchase agreement listing dealer name, complete name and address of lien holder and copy of the most recent out of state registration
- If lien is held in the following states, you must present the original title: KY, MD, MI, MN, MO, MT, NY, OK, SD, WI, WY
- Lessee (customer) must present the original title from leasing company or lienholder, lease agreement along with an original notarized Power-of-Attorney from the leasing company authorizing the lessee to register the vehicle in Georgia. These documents can be express mailed to DeKalb County Tax Commissioner's Office, 4380 Memorial Drive, Suite 100, Decatur, GA 30032.
- Passing Georgia emissions test ( If Required ) http://www.cleanairforce.com/
- Valid Georgia insurance
- Georgia Driver’s License or ID card with your current DeKalb County address
- Proof of DeKalb County address if Georgia Driver’s License or ID card does not have your current address:
- Lease, deed or closing statement
- Utility statement, paycheck stub or bank statement dated within the last 30 days