Welcome to DeKalb County! We’d like to take a moment and let you know about some of the special savings available to you as a resident 62 and over.
DeKalb County offers our Senior Citizens special property tax exemptions. The qualifying applicant receives a substantial reduction in property taxes. Currently, there are two basic requirements. You must be at least 62 years or older on January 1st of the year in which you are applying, and you must meet certain income requirements.
We will need you to bring in the following required documents:
- The previous year’s federal and state income tax returns
- Any Social Security forms, such as the annual 1099
- Proof of age (Georgia driver’s license or state issued ID)
Once the exemption has been granted, it remains in place for as long as you own and reside at the home. No exemptions are retroactive, and applications may be processed by mail, in person, drop box, or online at https://dekalbtax.org/file-homestead-exemption.
Please visit our Exemptions page for more details regarding our special exemptions.
Emissions Senior Waivers
The State of Georgia offers a Senior Waiver to eliminate the emission requirement for annual tag renewals. The requirements are:
- You are 65 years of age or older
- Your vehicle is 10 model years old or older
- You do not drive the vehicle over 5,000 miles per year
- You are the primary register vehicle owner
To apply for the waiver, please fill out the form found here.
Disabled parking placards are available to anyone who is temporarily or permanently disabled. Only one disabled parking placard is allowed per individual. Individuals can move the placard to any vehicle in which they are travelling. There is no charge for a disabled placard/permit.
To receive a disabled parking placard you may apply either in person or via mail:
- Your doctor must complete and notarize form MV-9D and then this must be submitted to our office along with a copy of your Georgia driver’s license or ID card.
- A signed and dated statement by a doctor on prescription paper may be submitted including the disabled person’s name and whether the disability is permanent or temporary. The prescription paper must include the doctor’s printed name, address, phone number and the doctor’s license number. This document can be submitted along with a copy of your Georgia driver’s license or ID card.