Information about the 2023 Homeowner Tax Relief Grant
The State of Georgia approved a one-time Homeowner Tax Relief Grant (HTRG) for homeowners with a valid basic, senior or special homestead exemption, or for a homeowner who applied for one by the April 1, 2023 deadline. Homeowners with valid homesteads will receive the tax relief grant of up to a $18,000 reduction of the assessed value of their property. The HTRG will automatically be applied to your 2023 property tax bill. The grant was approved by the Governor and General Assembly of the State of Georgia, and became law on March 13, 2023.
What you need to know:
- The HTRG is a one-time reduction in the assessed value on the property tax bill. The tax relief grant is not a refund payment.
- The HTRG reduction, which will appear on your property tax bill, will amount up to a $18,000 reduction of the assessed value of their property if a valid homestead exemption exists.
- The HTRG is separate from a homestead exemption; it is an additional savings. No extra steps are required to receive the reduction.
- An existing homestead exemption must be in place as of 2023 to qualify for the HTRG reduction on your tax bill. Check your assessment notice for your homestead status. The deadline to apply was April 1. Applications received after this date will be processed for 2024.
- The HTRG does not apply to rental, commercial or personal property.
- The HTRG applies to county and city taxes on your DeKalb County property tax bill. If you live in the city limits of Decatur, please contact your city directly to inquire about the HTRG reduction.
- To receive the grant, the County must be in compliance with State requirements as of March 13, 2023.
For more information about the 2023 Homeowner Tax Relief Grant, please visit the Georgia Department of Revenue’s website.